PE and Sport
PE and Sport are an integral part of school life for pupils at Ravenstone.
Children will experience a PE, dance and swimming lesson (from Year 4) every week.
Our aim as a school is also to enter every sporting competition that Wandsworth offers and excel in athletics and swimming.
PE and sport in Ravenstone is designed to improve the following:
- pupil concentration, commitment and self-esteem; leading to higher attendance and better behaviour and attainment;
- fitness levels; active children are less likely to be obese and more likely to pursue sporting activities as adults, thereby reducing the likelihood of illness
- success in local and international competition by ensuring talented young sports people have a clear pathway to elite sport and competition whatever their circumstances.
We also beleive that a rich sporting and activie lifestlye will improve happiness among our pupils
PE and school sport at Ravenstone wil inspire our children to demonstrate the following;
- show a strong commitment to making PE and school sport an important and valuable part of their lives in both school and the community;
- know and understand what they are trying to achieve and how to go about it;
- have an understanding of how what they do in PE and school and community-based sport contributes to a healthy and active lifestyle;
- have the confidence to get involved in PE and school and community sport;
- have the skills to take part in PE and school sport and are in control of their movement;
- respond effectively to a range of different competitive, creative and challenge-type activities both as individuals and as an integral part of teams and groups
- are clearly thinking about what they are doing and making appropriate decisions for themselves;
- show a desire to improve and achieve in relation to their abilities and aspirations;
- have the stamina, suppleness and strength to keep going; and
- enjoy PE and school and community sport.
Dance at Ravenstone
Dance is an integral part of our PE curriculum and starts in nursery.
We employ a specialist dance teacher who has designed the curriculum that she teachers all children on a weekly basis.
The standards for the curriculum can be found here.